09 October 2014

Texas Livin'.

Okay. Let me preface this blog post by saying that these are MY thoughts and opinions about living in Texas and the people in Texas. This is NOT meant to hurt anybody's feelings or make anyone upset. We all have our likes and dislikes and these are mine. About Texas.

One year ago today, we were on a plane heading to our new life in Texas. So excited and so full of ignorance. Just like everyone that moves to a new place is, I believe.

Adam and I move A LOT. It's in our bones. We love new places and new things and new people. I hate the actual moving process (STRESS), but I love everything else about it.

So. We came here so excited. And then I got let down real quick. Well maybe it took a few months, I dunno. But I slowly started hating Texas. In a BIG way. Everything is bigger in Texas, right?!

The people were so rude. No Southern hospitality around here! Nearly every person that is from Texas is rude. Nobody cares to get to know you. They just want to move on to the next thing. Okay, I have to say that this does NOT count for people from Texas that I met before I moved here. Those people are some of the nicest people I have met. And they're also not from Fort Worth. So maybe it's just Fort Worth? I dunno.

Also, everyone thinks Texas is better than anywhere else in the world. I get it. Y'all (see what I did there?) are proud of your state. Good for you. But please for the love of all that is holy, stop shoving it down my throat! I don't think Texas is as amazing as you do. And you know what? That's okay. Because I'm not going to try to make you think Texas sucks. So don't try to make me think it's the best place on earth. Because, to me, it's not. And neither is Ohio! Which is where I'm from. So blam-o. I'm not state prejudice.

Everyone and their mother honks at everyone else. If you don't go fast enough at a green light. If you get into another lane in front of them with enough space for fifteen cars. If you go faster than they think you should be going. If you don't go as fast as they think you should be going. You can't win.

It has made me super bitter. So now I'M the one that beeps at people and gets pissed off because people suck at driving. Driving in Texas is worse than driving in California. Truly. And that's saying something. Because Californians think they own everything. See? Not state prejudice. But I do love Cali more than Texas. Fo sho.

I very briefly lived in Wichita Falls, Texas when I was in the Air Force. And I don't remember people acting this way. Maybe because everyone was from somewhere other than Texas? I really don't know.

The weather. Oh boy, don't even get me started on this damn weather. It's like hell on earth every damn day. I see all these people wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts and it makes me feel stabby. Because every time I walk out of my house, I want to DIE because it's so flippin' hot. I mean, worse than California hot. And California is hot. This is just hell. When it rains, it's for like three minutes and then, BAM. HELL again.

But all of this stuff has made me kind of hate living in Texas. And that's sad. Because I want to love it here. I really do. And I just don't know if I ever will.

With that being said, some things I love about Texas. It's California Lite. SOOOO many things here remind me of living in California. They have In-N-Out, which if you know me in real life, is my FAVE. No burger will ever compare. The weather is similar to Cali, but hotter. So maybe no on that one? The lawns are small, just like in Cali. Everyone's fences meet up. Which also, fences everywhere. Not something you see in Ohio. People park on the street all over the place because their driveways aren't long enough for the fifteen cars they somehow own. Mexican food. Because duh.

There you have it. My thoughts on Texas Livin'. It's not the worst, but it's definitely not the best. One year later and I still feel this way. Maybe even stronger. I do love me some Tex-Mex, though.

No comments: