08 July 2010

Newborns? They Are Hard, FYI.

I'm kind of over the newborn stage. I mean, yeah, they're all cuddly and snuggly and all that. But, the sleeping? It doesn't happen. And me? Not such a fan of the not sleeping.

Addison seems to sleep really well during the day...like 3 hour stretches or longer. And I have to wake her to feed her, which I think will help her sleep better during the night, but alas, it does not.

Last night she was up from 1:45am until about 4:45am....almost continuously. She slept for a little bit and I think I maybe got an hour of sleep in there? I'm not really sure...it's all sort of a blur at this point.

Anyway.

She grunts and screams out in her sleep all night long, pretty much. She seems to have really bad gas and I'm not sure how to fix it. During the day, I bicycle her legs all the time and am constantly burping her and at night, after I feed her, I burp her every time. She doesn't always burp though, which pretty much sucks since I'm assuming that gas builds up in there, hence the waking up screaming, etc.

So yeah, I don't know how to fix that problem. Does it just go away with age? Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting her to sleep through the night at 2 weeks old (has it really been two weeks already?!), but man, dude, give me some sort of a break here! I already had one kid who didn't sleep through the night until she was 11 months old! I deserve some sleep, right? Right?!

Any tips or advice you would like to share, please do. I'm tired. Send Dr. Pepper.

3 comments:

the Shipe's said...

hey girl,
So I have to say GAS DROPS!!! Mylicon drops are safe (but some people prefer gripe water, it's more holistic, but hard to find... although, probably not hard to find in CA compared to SC, try trader joes, the nugget, or stores like that). I gave them to Will every night for the first... forever! lol. It works my helping the gas to join together & come up during burping (so it doesnt get down to the bowels & cause that pain).
Naps, I would say at this age not to let her go more than 3 hours between feedings (& not to nap more than 2 hours). Stick with it for a few days (my parenting resources say it generally takes 3 days for a baby to learn/break habits). Work at keeping her awake after feedings during the day & not at night, so she can differentiate the two. It'll get easier! Hope this helps!

Michelle said...

I saw gripe water at target the other day...haven't tried it though. I use mylicon drops w/ Matthew and they seem to work bc he calms down right away. I pretty much did the sane thing ad Theresa: keep them awake after daytime feedings and I would not interact w/ Matthew at night. It took a while, but now I finally have him in a routine and it is awesome. At night: bath, bottle or paci, then he just wants to lay in his crib and go to sleep. I wasn't that lucky with Samantha though.

Hang in there! Cherish every moment, good and bad. I'm trying to take it all in since I know Matt is my last baby.

Tiffany said...

I've heard about that gripe water stuff, but never used it.
Do you guys use Mylicon at your house at all?
It's supposed to be pretty baby-friendly and safe for every feeding, and I swear it must've always helped Logan, because he rarely had any really bad gas problems.