04 December 2008

Happenings

So I'm really excited to share this new tidbit of information with you all, but I'm also very scared to say it, so as not to jinx it.

Here goes...

For the last three (3!!!) nights in a row (a row!!!), Makayla has been sleeping through the night.
Yes, without waking up! Not even once!
That means 12 hours of pure sleeping straight through.

That might not mean anything to you moms out there who have the best, most perfect, awesome baby who has been sleeping through the night since he/she was 7 weeks old, but alas, I have a real life and a real baby.

Who just started sleeping through the night at 11 months and 1 week old. And I could not be more excited to be getting 8 hours of continued sleep! Do you know what that does to a person? I'm like a whole new woman! I can (usually!) tolerate Makayla's screaming at the top of her lungs.

Although, she's just this week started having temper tantrums. So many blogs I read never talk about the horrible parts of having a baby. And while Makayla is my pride and joy and my heart, she is not always a good and fun and loving baby.

If I don't give her what she wants, she screams and cries until she gets it. So I'm not giving her whatever she wants now...within reason, of course. If she's hungry, I feed her. DUH. But like if she wants my cell phone and she starts screaming, she doesn't get it. But my problem is, I don't know how to actually let her know that I'm not giving her what she wants and once she's done whining, she can come play with Mommy again. Because she'll scream for hours straight. And I am not kidding about that.

So what do I do? This morning when she pitched a fit, I put up the baby gate and went in the kitchen, where I could still see her and she screamed and cried for 10 minutes straight. Non stop.

I want her to know that she does not always get her way and I am in charge and if I say that she can't have it, she can't have it. So fill me in. If your kid is not the angel child, as mentioned above.

And speaking of which, there has been a baby (pregnancy) boom lately and frankly, I really don't think these broads have any clue what they're in for. Yeah, it's all nice and good to be pregnant and then have a snuggly newborn, but after that, that's when real parenting comes in. And while I know I don't have all the answers, I know even more that some of these pregos really have no idea what they're going to have to do. It is hard. It is not always rewarding. You do not always want to get up in the morning and take care of someone else, especially when you're sick. And you wait for naptime and then when it comes to an abrupt end, you are not happy.

Just don't pretend like you have it all together while you're pregnant, because your kid is not going to sleep through the night. And then you'll realize that I was right all along.
And it is way easier to take care of a baby that is not separate from you. One that doesn't scream and cry all day and all night (not lately!!) long.
So relish these moments. Before the storm comes.
Don't get me wrong, I love my baby more than life itself, but this is the most trying thing I have ever done in my life and I am positive that there are some women out there who think they have it all together, yet have no idea what's really in store for them. So FYI. :)

2 comments:

Becks said...

So true so true! It is tough being a mom!! Yesterday I almost lost it and couldn't deal anymore! Luckily my husband came home early and saved me! You can have the best days and the worst days..all part of being a parent. Good job on Makayla sleeping thru the nights!!! AWESOME! Sophia woke up 3 times last night, holla! She barely naps anymore I am lucky to get one one hour nap. That is when mommy starts to lose it ..no break!! Just whining and wanting to be held all day! Fun fun fun!

I hope Makaylas sleeping continues!! Happy days!

Christy said...

You are exactly right - parenting is HARD. I get really frustrated when other bloggers act like their children are perfect. So fake.