14 October 2014

A Touchy Subject.

I watched this amazing video this morning. Glennon Doyle Melton was on OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) and talked about loving her body. And how she doesn't. She's a beautiful, skinny little thing. But that doesn't mean she loves her body. Probably like you think she should.

I want to love my body. It can do amazing things and I should be proud of that.

I'm sick of people telling me I'm overweight. I already know that. I don't need to hear it again. Nor do I need to be reminded of it. Because you telling me that does nothing good for either of us. You saying that I'm fat will not make me skinny. Asking if I've tried this or that or whatever other magic pill or diet is out there will not make me do it. I've tried a great many things. But I like food. And this is where I'm at in my life.

I want to be proud of my body. Because it is MINE. Not because it looks like what everyone else thinks it should look like.

I'm done being ashamed when I sit next to someone that is skinnier than me. I have nothing to be ashamed of. I like eating and I like eating everything.

I'm sick of people asking me 'what happened'. Um, really? Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I'm unhappy with how I look. Why should that be the most important thing in life? There are plenty of skinny people that aren't happy. Or that go to drastic measures to become that way. I didn't consciously sit down one day and say, 'Hey, today would be a good day to gain lots and lots of pounds and loss my old self.' No. It takes time to get to that point. But still, should I be ashamed of who I am and what I look like?!

My body has done some amazing things. It has birthed two beautiful and healthy little girls. It has climbed mountains in Ethiopia (and stairs!) that some days I thought wasn't possible. It has nourished two babies through wonderful and cherished pregnancies. It has endured many, many miles of running and sit ups and push ups. It has stood up these 30 years that I've beaten and bruised it.

My body hasn't given up on me. So I won't give up on it.


No comments: