15 July 2008

Witty Post

I had this really great post that I was going to write, but alas my pictures will not work for some reason. So, you will have to wait.

I'm sorry. It was going to be awesome, I assure you. So for now, let's just talk about cloth diapers some more, shall we? I know all of you out there are so very curious about this topic, yes? We all know I am!!

Cloth diapers can be extremely confusing if you have no idea what you're doing, which is where I was just a few days ago. I have had a lot of help from multiple people. What type of diapers to try, what to do with what, how to wash them, etc. I have looked at tons and tons of websites and read so much about cloth diapering, I think my brain really just might explode.

I have decided that the best (and easiest) cloth diaper for me, Adam and Makayla are either the pocket diaper or the All In One. They seem to be the best and really, they seem to be much cheaper than the other versions, aside from the originial flat diapers, but really, we all know I will never do all that upkeep. I'm not down with the folding and the Snappis and all that jazz. Diapers that look like cloth disposables are awesome with me. 

I'm (hopefully) going to a lady's house tomorrow to check out FuzziBunz. I'm really excited. I have been obsessing and obsessing for days now over which diaper I want to try first. These particular diapers are $19.95 for one with one insert, but I honestly think it's worth it.

Did you know that it takes 500 years {years!!} for disposable diapers to decompose? That's a long frickin' time!

Did you know that the amount of water it takes to wash cloth diapers is equal to flushing the toilet 5 more times a day? That's it! Not a lot at all!!

Did you know that by the time your baby is out of diapers, you will have spent over $3,000 on wipes and diapers? Only to see nothing but a huge landfill of poop!

Did you know that by the time your baby is potty trained, he or she will have put 1 ton of diapers into a landfill? Wow!

If you use cloth diapers, they keep on giving. If you take care of them, you can reuse them with your next child or children. It's probably going to suck to clean them, but hey, if I'm saving the earth and money, I can manage. My daughter only poops once a day anyways. And they have these really awesome diaper sprayer thingys that hook right up to your toilet!

So people will probably think I'm crazy for cloth diapering my baby, but hey, I live in California, so why not fit right in with all the other hippies, right? I'm also going to buy reusable nursing pads. I'm pretty excited about those bad boys. Going to Motherhood Maternity tomorrow, in fact. :)

I hope I educated you. And I hope you will buy at least one cloth diaper and just try it out. For serious.

2 comments:

The Hamons said...

Hey, lindsey
Good job on the cloth diapers. We looked into as well, but were too overwhelmed - as you have discovered! :) We settled on SeventhGeneration disposables. Anyway - wanted to warn ya about the resuable nursing pads. They really aren't worth it. They don't absorb a lot, and I ended up leaking right through. At least, that was my experience. Just an FYI

Becks said...

Ok now I feel bad..destroying the earth and all. Good tips! It may just make me think a little more about my diposable diapers.